Dr. Praveen Joshi, Uro-Andrologist, Joshi’s Andrology and Urology Centre, Bangalore, India speaks about erectile dysfunction(ED) in this video. He explains the symptoms, causes and the treatment options available for ED.
When a man has consistent difficulty in getting an erection or maintaining the erection long enough for penetration during sex, it is known as erectile dysfunction. It is also referred as ED in short or impotence. It is projected that with the progression of age from 40 to 70 years, almost half of the men will suffer from ED.
Do note, having an issue with erection once in a while may not be a cause for concern. If it occurs frequently, it can be due to ED, which can adversely impact your sex life, relationships, etc.
The causes of ED include:
- Medical causes: Hypertension, atherosclerosis, diabetes, spinal/pelvic injuries, hormonal issues, etc.
- Psychological factors: Stress, performance anxiety, depression, etc.
- Use of certain medications, alcohol and street drugs.
To diagnose, ED, your doctor will ask you about your general health, ED and psychological health. You may be sent for an erection function test. Psychological testing can be done if the cause of ED is psychogenic.
Depending on the cause, the treatment of ED can include:
- Phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE-5) inhibitors
- Psychological counselling
- Testosterone replacement
- Vacuum pumps (penis pumps)
- Penile implants
If you are facing any difficulty in getting an erection or maintaining it, then consult your doctor.