Dr. Kiran Joshy, Dermatologist and Cosmetic Surgeon, Joshy’s Medical Centre, Bangalore, India talks about Botox treatment, a very popular cosmetic procedure to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
Botox is a common name for a protein, botulinum toxin derived from Clostridium botulinum. Botox can effectively reduce facial wrinkles.
Botox is FDA approved, simple, safe and a minimally invasive procedure to reduce the visible signs of ageing.
“Botox treatments are usually safe. But do ensure that a certified and experienced dermatologist does it. You may have to repeat the procedure after 6 months for better results.”
Some of the cosmetics issues that are treated by Botox injections are:
- Treating crow’s feet, the wrinkles around the eyes
- Wrinkles between the eyebrows
- Frown lines or fine lines on the face
Botox is also advised for treating:
- Excessive sweating in the palms and underarms
- Overactive bladder
- Cervical dystonia – A disorder resulting in severe neck and shoulder muscles contraction
- Blepharospasm- Constant blinking of the eyelids
- Chronic migraine
- Strabismus- Crossed eye
- Spasticity of the limb
Do’s and don’ts of Botox treatment:
- Always consult a qualified and experienced dermatologist for this treatment.
- Avoid massaging or rubbing the treated area. It can have an adverse effect on the outcome of the procedure.
Seek medical help if you are experiencing any of the below-mentioned symptoms after a Botox session:
- Trouble in breathing
- Blurred vision
- Eyelid drooping or swelling
- Discomfort in the neck
- Dry eyes