Dr. Apoorva Pallam Reddy, Gynaecologist at Mathrutva Fertility Centre, Bangalore, India advises on some tips that can fade away your pregnancy stretch marks.
Most pregnant women are concerned with stretch marks and are always on the lookout to get rid of them. It might be difficult to fade them away totally, but it is not impossible to decrease its visibility.
“ The pinkish purplish lines are the sign of the broken dermis layer. If you wish to control the damage done to the skin, it is advisable to start the skincare regime as early as possible. There are better chances of restoring the skin back to its previous glory when the stretch marks are new. The old silvery lines of stretch marks may not respond to any treatment.”
Your abdominal skin can have hyperpigmentation soon after delivery, which corrects itself anywhere between 6-12 months of delivery. However, if you are in a hurry to get rid of the pigmentation, you can try including the following in your daily regime:
- Oil Massage: Give your skin an oil massage at least once a week. Remember the oil massage should be done properly to get maximum benefits. Massage should be done in circular motion. Coconut and almond oils are good choices.
- Start eating foods that are skin friendly. Stay away from junk food as these can harm your skin.
- Do daily brushing and scrubbing to improve the blood circulation.
- Follow low-impact exercises to keep your skin firm. Firmer skin makes the stretch marks less visible.
- Apply sunblock creams whenever your skin is exposed to ultraviolet rays.
- Skin treatment like dermabrasion can help in lightening the marks.
- Vitamin C, Kojic acid, a mix of onion extract and hyaluronic acid-based formulations can help.