Dr. Seemanthini Desai, a leading microbiologist of Dr. Desai Microlab, Bengaluru, talks about some of the causes of bad breath and shared tips on what can be done about it.
Bad breath is also known as malodour or halitosis in medical terms. All of us must have experienced bad breath at some point in our life, irrespective of the fact whether we are aware or unaware of it. Bad breath is a result of bacteria feeding on the food particles that are still tucked in the corner of the teeth and tongue and other reasons.
“It is impossible to be free of our mouth bacteria completely. However good oral hygiene can go a long way in keeping one’s breath fresh.”
Few causes of bad breath include:
- Dental diseases
- Poor oral hygiene
- Unclean tongue
- Dry mouth
- Habit of chewing tobacco, beetle leaves, smoking, etc.
- Foods like garlic, onion, confectionaries, acidic foods, alcoholic beverages, etc.
- Specific health issues like gastrointestinal disorders
- Faulty braces, dentures, fillings, etc.
Tips for fresh breath:
- Follow proper oral hygiene with a habit of brushing and flossing your teeth at least twice a day
- See a dentist regularly
- Use mouthwashes for fresher breath
- Eat sensibly
- Keep yourself hydrated to avoid getting dry mouth
- You can chew sugar-free gums.