Did you know, one in every 20 Indians suffers from depression! Depression is responsible for underperformance, socioeconomic losses, reckless behaviour, death and much more. It is treatable and also preventable. Untreated depression can be life-threatening. Hence, immediate help is crucial.
People with depression might not feel like talking about it or seek help. They might think it will pass or run its course. But by doing that, they can be making the terrible mistake of making it worse. Here are few ways to deal with depression:
Reach out to Family and Friends
Battling a mental condition alone can be impossible sometimes. The first move is to talk to a friend or family member who will be compassionate and supportive. Just talking out loud and expressing thoughts can help to sort out feelings as opposed to bottling them up and letting them fester. Even if the person requires professional help, they will still need the continued support of loved ones.
Go for Professional Help
Seeking help is the best way to deal with depression.
You can get the help by visiting:
- Your family physician/doctor, who might look for any underlying causes and refer you to a mental-health provider.
- A Psychiatrist
- A Psychologist
- Counsellors near your place
You can seek online consultation with our doctors now by visiting this link: Consult a Doc
- AASRA: +91-22-27546669 – Free calling service to talk to trained volunteers, especially if one has suicidal ideation.
- iCALL Psychosocial Helpline: 022-25521111 (Mon to Sat, 8 AM to 10 PM)
- Vandravela Foundation: 1860-266-2345/1800-233-3330 – Mumbai.
- Sneha: 044 24640050 (24 hours).
- Parivarthan: +917676602602 – A counselling helpline.
- SAHAI: 080 25497777 (Mon to Sat 10:00 am to 8:00 pm) – Helpline for suicide prevention and emotional distress.
- Sumaitri: 011 23389090 – Crisis-intervention centre for the depressed and suicidal.
- Maithri: 0484 2540530 – Suicide-prevention helpline in Kochi.
Depression is treated with medicine, talk therapy or both. If you have depression, seeking help is the best thing you can do.
Copyright © 2017 Modasta. All rights reserved