Makarasana is beneficial in relaxing the muscles of the entire back region instantaneously. It can be performed by individuals suffering from a slipped disc and sciatica.
Step-wise instruction to do the asana:
- Lie down flat on your stomach.
- Bring your legs near to each other.
- Raise your head and shoulders and place your chin in your arms.
- The elbows should be touching the ground.
- Adjust your elbows (not too far away or too close to each other) in such a way that, your neck and lower back are relaxed.
- There should be no pressure or tightness in any part of your body.
- Close your eyes, breathe normally and maintain this position as long as you want.
- This pose is beneficial for people with a slipped disc, sciatica and simple low back pain.
- Good for asthmatics and individuals with other lung disorders.
- Relaxes the mind and increases the awareness.
- It increases the self-confidence.
- People with exaggerated lumbar curve should not do this asana.
- In case anyone experiences pain while practising this asana, avoid doing it.
Copyright © 2017 Modasta. All rights reserved
- Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha. Swamy Satyananda Saraswati. Yoga publications trust, Ganga darshan Munger, Bihar, India.