Marjariasana is an excellent yoga asana to increase the flexibility of the spine.
Stepwise instructions to do the asana:
- Get on the floor on your knees and palms.
- Your spine should be parallel to the ground.
- Look forward.
- As you breathe in, raise your head upwards (facing the ceiling), broaden your shoulders and push your spine and abdomen towards the ground.
- As you breathe out, bend your head downwards, contract your abdomen and push (arch) your spine towards the roof.
- Avoid touching the chin to your chest.
- You can repeat this practice for five times or more based on your capacity.
- Remember not to move your hands and legs while practicing.
- It is an excellent pose to increase the flexibility of the spine.
- It reduces both upper and low back pain.
- It tones the muscles of the abdominal region, abdominal organs and thus aids in digestion.
- It strengthens your palm, wrists, arms and shoulders.
- Relaxes the mind by reducing the anxiety.
- It balances the emotions.
- People with head or neck or knee injury should avoid doing this practice.
Copyright © 2016 Modasta. All rights reserved
- Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha. Yoga Publications Trust, Munger, Bihar, India. Published in 2008.