Menopause results from:
- Natural loss of fertility: The ovaries start producing less of oestrogen as woman ages especially after the 30s. By the age of 51, periods stop.
- Hysterectomy: The surgical removal of the uterus, without or along with the ovaries causes menopause without any transition phase.
- Radiation and chemotherapy: Therapies for cancer can bring about menopause. Hot flashes can occur during or soon after the initiation of treatment.
- Primary ovarian insufficiency: It results when the normal level of hormone secretions do no occur by the ovaries due to autoimmune disorder or genetic reasons. Hormone therapy is classically advocated until the biological age of menopause is attained in such women.
Copyright © 2018 Modasta. All rights reserved
- Early age of natural menopause in India, a biological marker for early preventive health programs. Climacteric. 2012 Dec;15(6):581-6.
- Menopausal symptoms and the risk of young-onset breast cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2013 Mar; 49(4): 798–804.
- Menopause and Menopause Treatments. Frequently asked questions. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women’s Health http://www.womenshealth.gov