I love mosquitos! Well, I am sure, nobody would ever say that. Mosquitos are a menace to the humankind. Not only they are a source of irritation when one is trying to sleep, but they also spread deadly diseases like dengue, malaria, chikungunya, etc. With the advent of the rainy season, this menace increases many folds.
How can I keep mosquitoes away?
Prevention is better than cure. Some of the ways you can prevent breeding of mosquitoes in and around your house include:
- Ensure the area around your home is clean.
- Do not allow accumulation of garbage or stagnant water.
- Keep lids on the trash cans.
- Put up mosquitoes mesh on your windows to prevent mosquitoes from entering your home.
- By keeping the drains and sewers outside the house clean and ensuring that no garbage is choking them.
- Ensure you clean every nook and corners of your house frequently to avoid breeding of mosquitoes.
How do I get rid of mosquitoes?
Some methods to get rid of mosquitoes include:
- Use mosquito repellant coils or machines to keep the mosquitoes away.
- Use mosquito repellant creams on the exposed body parts to avoid being bitten.
- For making a natural repellant, mix neem oil and coconut oil (1:1 ratio) and apply on the exposed parts of the body.
- Light camphor and close all doors and windows for few minutes and then open them. The pungent smoke of the camphor is said to drive the mosquitoes away.
- Keeping a Tulsi shrub near your window can be a great way to keep the mosquitoes at bay.
- Another natural way to keep the mosquitoes away is to crush a few pods of garlic, boil them in the water and spread that water in the room. Though it may smell bad, it will repel the mosquitoes away.
- Use mosquito nets around your bed to sleep.
- Use mosquito bats to swat them.
- Wear full-sleeved clothes to avoid exposing body parts.
While it may be difficult to get rid of mosquitoes altogether, one can surely take enough precautions and measures to prevent mosquito menace in and around our homes.
Copyright © 2017 Modasta. All rights reserved
- Help control mosquitoes that spread dengue, chikanguniya, and zika viruses – Accessed on August 4, 2016 – https://www.cdc.gov/zika/pdfs/control_mosquitoes_chikv_denv_zika.pdf
- Keeping mosquito out of your yard – National Pesticide Information Center – Accessed on August 4, 2016 – http://npic.orst.edu/pest/mosquito/control.html
- Prevent your exposure to mosquitoes – Accessed on August 4, 2016 – https://www.epa.gov/mosquitocontrol/prevent-your-exposure-mosquitoes
- Mosquito-borne Diseases – American Mosquito Control Association – Accessed on August 4, 2016 – http://www.mosquito.org/mosquito-borne-diseases